Attached to this post is the map of the original Jamestown colony, the first permanent settlement in America. The rectangular building with squares inside is the Church, built in 1608, only a year after the settlement was first formed. The Church displayed on this map was built in the Spring of 1608, following the destruction of the original Church in January, earlier that year. The Church was placed at the middle of the fort, but slightly closer to the water, rendering it less likely to be destroyed in the event of an attack by the Native Americans. Around ten years later, the governor of the Jamestown settlement, Samuel Argall, commissioned the building of a new Church, which is the brown building located on the right side of the map. This Church was the location of the first ever representative assembly in America, furthering the Church’s importance as a meeting spot.